Saturday, October 27, 2012

stuff: the depreciation of the beanie baby


Today I am having a yard sale.  It's cold outside, so I'm taking the stay-inside-with-the-blinds-open-to-see -if-anyone-will-stop approach.  It's currently 47 degrees, which is quite a bit warmer than the 29 degrees I started with at 7:00 a.m.  This is my second yard sale.  The first was about a year and a half ago, and was much more profitable than today's sale.  Perhaps it's the chilly wind, or the fact that the neighbor hood yard sale was last weekend (oops), but all of my lovely treasures have only netted us about 43 bucks.  Ten of which came from my beanie baby collection that was going to pay for my college education.  I let 13 of the little boogers go to a good home, but couldn't help think, "in 1999 these would have cost about $80."  The upside:  the kid looked like Napoleon Dynamite and bought all my beanie baby cats.

 Not the Beanies!

A man just walked by and let his shih tzu pee on my box of free hangers.  They're free, and the only interest I can get is some shih tzu pee.  Why someone doesn't want a box of dry cleaning wire hangers is beyond me...

It's hard to watch people look at your stuff... your stuff... with such disgust.  I can't help but think of how much money was spent on all that stuff - by either David, or me, or our families - that I'm hopeful to get a couple dollars for today.  It's really quite sickening.  How do we get to the point of putting everything we once loved - or just had to have - out on our front yard with a sticker that says "$0.25?"   

Needless to say today's yard sale is teaching me a few lessons:  

1.  Don't be a hoarder:  I keep so much stuff - like the hangers... or the magazines that no one wants... thinking that I'll eventually use it or find someone who can.  But no one needs it and neither do I.  Instead, I need to get rid of it.  Recycle it... throw it away... anything but let whatever it is sit in a closet or on the floor in an unused room taking up space.

2.  Think about purchases:  I am the queen of impulse buying.  Usually with clothes, but sometimes with food items and other random things.  I need to start thinking to myself, “Is this going to end up on my front lawn within a year?” before purchasing.  If the answer is yes, then I probably don’t need it.

3.  Purging is good for the soul:  It feels good to get rid of clutter.  I truly delight in neat, clutter-free, organized spaces.  Somewhere in the last three years, this delight has been completely lost in translation.  I need to keep the momentum from the past couple of weeks going, and not let the bust-of-a-yard-sale get me down.  Our house can – and will – be an organized, simple space… one of these days!

Although today’s sale isn’t quite what I was hoping for (our neighbors made over $800 at their sale a couple of weeks ago!), I won’t let it stop me from having another one!  It’s fun to meet new people and watch their kiddos play with Hamilton.  He definitely gets the best deals of the day!  

Heart Breaker... Deal Maker

2 comments:

  1. I just laughed so hard. When I started reading about the beanie babies I thought, "I hope she says they were how she was going to pay for college!!" And you did. U never disappoint! Ps garage sales scare me like couponing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh beanie babies! I got rid of a bunch of mine at a yard sale a few years ago and kept some in my parent's attic for nostalgia's sake. I'm going to save them for my future kids so they can laugh at the toys that were popular when I was a kid (or at least that's what I'm anticipating, whether or not that turns out to be reality is to remain seen).

    I really resonate with your desire to accumulate less stuff! When Tyson and I moved up to Oregon we were struck by all the stuff that we have. It really does make you think about all of your purchases more carefully.

    Glad to hear that your garage sale wasn't a total bust! :)

    ReplyDelete