Thursday, November 3, 2011

stay classy, san diego

Have I mentioned before that I have a pretty neat husband?  Well I do.  David decided that we needed to get away for the weekend - and away we went!  He didn't tell me where we were going, only that I needed to take last Friday off of work and that our plane was leaving around 9:00 a.m.  If you know me, I'm a planner.  Like a major planner.  So this was a great exercise in patience for me.  Although I wasn't completely relaxed about not knowing where I was headed, I think I did pretty well.  

We packed up our things and headed to the airport Friday morning.  Just before clearing security, David handed me my first boarding pass... Denver, CO.  At this point, I still didn't know our final destination!  Once landing in Denver, eating an airport breakfast burrito and walking around the gates for an hour, our flight was boarding... to sunny San Diego!  I was excited!

Once we landed and got our rental car, we headed to our hotel... a resort on Coronado Bay.  The view was just beautiful.  But we couldn't hang out at the hotel long.  With only 48 hours to soak up San Diego, we had places to go!

View from our room - not too shabby!

Friday night we drove to La Jolla Beach and walked down the fishing pier.  We then moved on to Miller's Field - a sports bar along La Jolla Beach to catch a bit of the World Series.  It was definitely a fun sports bar!

Being tourists on the pier

Miller's Field

Dorky picture inside Miller's Field... I couldn't resist the Bears jersey!

Saturday morning we woke up early (the 2 hour time difference threw us for a loop!) and headed down to the Little Italy district.  Every Saturday morning a few sections of the street are blocked out for the most amazing farmer's market I've ever seen.  It was so fun to walk around.  I wanted to bring home every fruit and veggie I saw, but instead grabbed a San Diego Mercato shopping bag instead.  Not to mention the Handmade Green houndstooth collar and leash for Hamilton.  

Beautiful Gerbera Daisies at the Farmers Market

Breakfast tacos - so good!

Little Italy, San Diego

After we stopped by PetCo Park for a moment, it was time to head to the San Diego Zoo!  I have wanted  to visit the San Diego Zoo since I was about eight years old, so needless to say, I was very excited.  My favorite exhibits were the pandas (so cute!) and the animal partnership exhibit where a cheetah and a dog were just hanging out leash-free.

Cute Panda!

Dream come true!

After some tasty margaritas, we met my friend Jaclyn and her husband for dinner.  Jaclyn and I have been friends since middle school, and she and her husband Tyson are living in LA while finishing their doctorate degrees.  When we landed, I asked Jaclyn how far they lived from San Diego.  She said they were a couple hours away, and so we decided to meet up the following evening.  David and I were so thankful that they took the time to drive to San Diego to spend Saturday evening with us!  We had a great time eating dinner and dessert and visiting.  

Sunday morning we slept in as best we could, packed our bags and headed out for one last tour.  We decided it would be fun to tour Coronado/San Diego Bay.  The harbor is filled with tons of Navy ships and aircraft carriers.  The one fun fact we learned on our boat tour was about the stripes-only flags that are flown on the bows of the ships.  These flags mean, "Don't Tread on Me," and are only flown during times of war. 

 The bridge connecting Coronado and San Diego... pretty cool.

A couple of the Navy ships we spotted on our boat tour!

After our harbor tour it was time to turn in the rental car and head back to the airport.  After a couple of flights we were back home in Arkansas.  :)  Monday evening David went to pick up our pup, who had stayed with his best friend Wilson.  Somehow, I don't think he missed us too much!

 Swimming pals...

...and snuggle buddies!

No comments:

Post a Comment