Saturday, July 20, 2013

learning from the Lord

I have never felt like I was a Christian who had all of "it" together in terms of my relationship with Christ. It's usually a pretty up-and-down roller coaster of commitment on my part, and to be quite honest I have never figured out how to have the perfect "quiet time." I have often blamed this on the fact that I never exactly learned how to have a quite time... only that I should have one. Somewhere in my mind it felt like only the really good Christians had daily quiet times, and I was doing pretty well to go to Bible study, not say bad words and be nice to people I went to school with.

Here's the reality: I may do a decent job of going to Bible study, but I may not always be prepared spiritually to be there. And more ugly truth... I can be as mean as a snake and cuss like a sailor when I feel like it.

In the past couple of years I have started to learn what it's like to "own" a verse or two as yours and meditate on them to get you through a little bit of whatever this life throws your way. Ever since studying the book of James last winter at my church, I have clung to James 1:2-4.

Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.
 (James 1:2-4 NLT)

And just in the past couple of weeks...

And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. 
(Romans 8:26-28 NLT)

But just in the last few days I have committed myself to spending time in the Word and in prayer and working through a study on Jesus, and let me tell you... I have learned so much from the Lord. Just in four days! What have I been doing all this time...?

In four short days, I have learned about what I can and can't control. I am a control freak. While I can control some things, I can't control it all. The rest is up to God. I have learned that often I condemn others, but I forget that I will one day give my own account of this life I have lead. (Romans 14:11) I have learned that God is The Healer, but we must wait on his timing. (Luke 5:12; Isaiah 64:4; 1 Corinthians 2:9) This is especially hard in a world of instant gratification! And today I learned that I can be oh-so full of pride. That as I am busy striving to keep it all under control on the outside, I could so easily be rotting on the inside. In Beth Moore's "Jesus: ninety days with the One and Only," she says this:

"Given the right set of circumstances and the wrong state of mind, each of us is capable of just about anything. Even if we could get our external lives under perfect and legalistic control, we'd probably rot on the inside with the heinous sin of pride.”

There are so many days where I can see Sarah written all over that!

All in all, I am so very encouraged. And I am so thankful that Jesus is opening up my eyes. I can't wait to share more of what he will teach me!

Maybe you need encouragement today... I can tell you one thing. Spending time with God doesn't have to be so fancy like I used to think, or only reserved for the really good Christians. It can really be just as simple as opening God's Word - and opening your heart - and allowing our Creator to speak to you.

2 comments:

  1. Love your post. The verses were exactly what I needed to hear. And I've always thought quiet time was for fancy Christians, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad they were what you needed to hear! :)

    ReplyDelete