Tuesday, January 1, 2013

happy birthday, beautiful

Margaret Jane Lansdown was born on January 1, 1923, making today her 90th birthday. If you have never met my Grandma Lansdown, you are missing out. She is a treasure - one of my favorite people in the whole world.

She loves to read, do crossword puzzles and watch Jeopardy!  She uses mental math to balance her checkbook, and never misses an opportunity to send a card to a friend (or granddaughter).

She is feisty and loving and polite and kind.  She is godly and loves her Savior.  And she is one of the strongest women I have ever known.  She has faced all of the trials this life has had to offer with dignity.  Her faith really could move a mountain.

If you want to know what a Proverbs 31 woman looks like, you need to look no further than Margaret.

posing with her 90th birthday cake

There are a few verses in the Bible that I have often hoped I could live out.  When I think of my Grandma Lansdown and what she means to me, they come to mind.  I can only hope to live them out as beautifully as she does.

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.  When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness."  Proverbs 31:25 - 26

"You should clothe yourselves from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.  This is how the holy women of old made themselves beautiful.  They trusted God and accepted the authority of their husbands."  1 Peter 3:4 - 5

Happy Birthday, Grandma.  At ninety, I'd have to say you are more beautiful than ever before.


No comments:

Post a Comment